The News Crew, By Walter Dean-Myers

One book that I read this month and enjoyed was the News Crew. The News Crew is a series and the first book is called The News Crew. The book is written by Walter Dean Myers. The main character in the News Crew is Zander. Xander goes to school at DaVinci Academy in Harlem, New York. The issue that the main character goes through is that the assistant principal wants him expelled. The book takes place in modern day.

Zander is brave, smart and curious. He is brave because he stands up to Mr. Culpeper, the vice principal when he wants to throw Zander out of the school. The tension between the two of them started when he was misbehaving in the cafeteria. The vice principal wants to expel Zander because he is not gifted enough to go to a school for the gifted.  He is smart because he writes in his free time. He is curious because he always wants to know about a topic when he hears it. He writes about the topics that he is curious about for the Cruisers, the school newspaper.

One part of the book that I enjoyed was when the school newspaper kids met in the media room to talk about what they would write about. This was one of my favorite parts because it educated me on world history. It taught me that the civil rights movement is still a huge issue now. Another part I enjoyed was when Zander saw Mr. Culpeper in the hallway and ran away. It was one of my favorite parts because it was really funny in the illustration. It is also one of my favorite parts because the author used some interesting words like   to describe the moment. One big decision that my main character made was to stand mischievous. to Mr. Culpeper because that would have expelled him from the school. Don’t get me wrong Zander is smart but he makes some bad decisions. One time he went into the girls’ bathroom when he should have gone to the boys.
I enjoyed the book a lot because it fit my reading style, a fast moving pace. Another reason why I enjoyed the book was because I felt I could relate to the adjectives that I would describe him as, curious, smart and brave. I think many people can relate to the book and that is why I think other people would enjoy it. I would recommend this book because everyone can relate to the book in different ways, which will allow lots of people to enjoy the book. The News Crew can relate to any book that highlights a character who goes to school. Some examples of books are: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Year of the Griffin and Percy Jackson and the lightning thief. (The beginning of the book). The book can connect to everyone in our fourth grade because everyone is a news reporter and Zander, the main character is a News reporter. I would give the book five stars.

2 thoughts on “The News Crew, By Walter Dean-Myers

1. This book seems interesting because I like books that have big problems and characters who know how to solve them. Your review makes it seem like this book would have both of those things. I might read it.