Meet the New High School Principal: Amanda Finigan

By Clio Blazer, Kate Deming, and Shoshi Fine

Exclusive: Announcing LREI’s new high school principal – please welcome Amanda Finigan! LREI Director Phil Kassen, alongside a committee of faculty and trustees, began the search in November, receiving 70 initial applications. They narrowed the pool down to twenty applicants for a Zoom interview, choosing only eight to proceed. In this third round, student voices were introduced to the process as they took part in the next round of Zoom interviews. The search committee listened to feedback from each faction and ultimately, the committee selected three finalists to visit the high school. They each interacted with a larger subset of students, parents, and faculty members. After extensive deliberation, conversation, and reflection, Kassen ultimately decided that Amanda Finigan would not only excel but also push forward and uplift the LREI community.

Finigan currently serves as a high school principal at the Ellis School in Pittsburgh, though she has spent the majority of her career teaching in Brooklyn as a Dean for ten years and math teacher for nearly twenty at both The Berkeley Carroll School and Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School. Her passion for education and commitment to leadership is evident throughout her extensive years of teaching. Her ability to incorporate past knowledge while being open to growth exhibits her alignment with the values of LREl.

Though students will get the chance to meet Amanda in the fall, the Knightly News team is pleased to introduce her to the community through this exclusive interview.  

1. What drew you to LREI?

I am from New York City, born and raised in Brooklyn, and I spent most of my career at a school in Brooklyn. I’ve always known about LREI, and it just seemed really, really cool. How […] school is done: it’s not just a teacher lecturing. It’s totally interactive and gives you […] real tools to be human beings outside of school. You all are going to be able to be true changemakers.

2. What three adjectives describe how you are feeling about entering your new position as LREI’s high school principal?

Excited, humbled, ready.  

3. We start our day a few mornings a week with a morning gathering in the PAC playing music. What songs would you suggest to be added to our playlist?

Live in the Light, by Fertile Ground.  I don’t know anyone who doesn’t dance when they hear it. I Miss You, by Beyoncé. I’m not a singer but I love to sing and the way she does the runs is just what I needed this morning. I’m [also] a hip hop person, so this morning I just wanted to hear [a Queen Latifah song] because I thought [she] was just really cool [when I was] in high school.

4. What is a unique talent you have?

I don’t know if this is a talent, but I’m really into pranking everybody. It’s just a gift I have.

5. We’re currently celebrating Spirit Week at LREI, which involves themed dress-up days. Yesterday’s theme was Character Day! If you were to dress up, who would you be and why?

Wendy Williams is no longer on the radio, I grew up with her when she had her talk show.  I was always her – not because I’m tall, I do wish I was very tall – I just love her hair. Or one of the twins, Tia and Tamera, from Sister Sister because they’re just so cute!

6. What is one goal you hope to accomplish? Or something you want to bring here?

Going on excursions where I am learning [along]side students. It’s just really powerful because I am a math teacher by trade and I could talk about derivatives and identities, and it comes easily to me, but when I am entering new territory [where I] may not know [the environment], I have to be as curious as the students. I am eager to have that opportunity again because we don’t do school like that where I am currently. 

7. What inspires you about this position?

Oh my gosh, [the] students! Students inspire me at any school because they always keep it real: they always let you know when you’re doing things well, and they also hold you accountable for doing the right thing. Students are always my answer.

Letter from the Editors:

We are elated to announce and welcome Amanda into our LREI community! Firstly, we want to thank Phil for giving us the opportunity to publicize Amanda’s new role through the newspaper. Secondly, we want to thank Amanda for giving us the time to speak with her, and allowing us to serve as an intermediary for everyone to get to know her. Lastly, we want to thank all of you for reading and learning about our new principal. For those who did not meet her during her visit day, we hope this serves as an adequate introduction, and for those of you who did, we hope you got to know her more on a personal level. We urge all of you to give Amanda a warm LREI welcome. When reflecting on his decision, Phil explained that he’s “impressed by her deep understanding of high school students and of her desire to support all that is already so wonderful about LREI’s high school.” Similarly, we are impressed and excited to see all she’ll bring to our school.