Project by: George Boulukos (11th Grade)
Project Advisor: Susan Now
Student(s)’s Advisor(s): Ann Caroll
Description of the Project: This project explores how to print images using UV sensitive materials. I came up with the project proposal prior to the outbreak, but it ended up being perfect for self -isolation. I usually have constant access to a darkroom, but since the everything is closed, making cyanotypes in my bathroom became a new found hobby.
Final Product (e.g., documents, images, video, audio, poster, display, etc.):
Final Reflection on Learning:
I learned a lot about this particular process that interested me into doing further study. I noticed that UV sensitive materials activate at such a slow rate that it could be manipulated more easily which was exciting.
Update on Progress from Weeks 1-3 (include any photos or video if relevant):
this Experiment was largely unsuccessful because I used the wrong paper.
Update on Progress from Weeks 4-6 (include any photos or video if relevant):
Each image I made taught me more about the process. For example the second image did not receive enough UV light before I washed it and the first image received too much UV light loosing important details in the image.
Update on Progress from Weeks 7-9 (include any photos or video if relevant):
These ended up being my best prints from the project because the great detail I was able to capture in the sand of these images. the first is an Amagansett beach and the second is the Montauk walking dunes.